- 1 - cup chopped onion
- 1/4 - cup margarine or butter
- 1/4 - cup unsifted flour
- 2 1/2 - cups milk or half & half
- 3/4 - cup Coco Lopez® Cream of Coconut
- 1 - tablespoon curry powder
- 1 - teaspoon salt
- 1/2 - teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 - teaspoon white pepper
- 1/3 - cup lemon juice
- 2 - pounds (edible portion) peeled and deveined medium raw shrimp as desired cooked rice or puff pastry shells
In steam-jacketed kettle, cook onion in margarine until tender. Stir in flour. Gradually add milk; stir until smooth. Add cream of coconut, curry, salt, ginger and pepper. Over medium heat, cook and stir until thickened. Stir in lemon juice; reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes. Stir in shrimp; cook 10 to 15 minutes or until shrimp are pink. Serve over rice or in puff pastry shells. Refrigerate unused servings.
Tip: To substitute cubed, cooked chicken, add 3 cups.
Garnishes: Toasted flaked coconut, raisins, chopped cashews, pecans or peanuts, chutney or sliced green onions.